The UMBC Cyber Associates Program is an opportunity for new freshmen majoring in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, and Information Systems who have an interest in the field of cybersecurity to connect with a community of students with similar interests and to further their knowledge and preparation for a future career. An important part of our mission is to increase the participation of women and other underrepresented groups in the field of cybersecurity.
Students selected as Cyber Associates will:
- Live on the CWIT (Center for Women in Technology) Living-Learning Community floor in Chesapeake Hall.
- Take the First Year Experience class in the fall semester for CWIT and Cyber Affiliates and Associates to help with a successful transition from high school to college.
- Take the Cyber Practicum class with other Cyber Scholars & Associates during the fall and spring semesters during the 2020-2021 school year.
- Meet once per month with the Assistant Director, Cyber Scholars Program, for help with academic advising, professional development, etc.
- Participate in other cyber-related events and meetings (to be announced at the beginning of each semester).
- The Cyber Associates program does NOT include scholarship funding. As a Cyber Associate, you will have the opportunity to apply in Spring 2021 to become a Cyber Scholar in Fall 2021 if you choose (and if you meet the GPA and major requirements). If accepted as a Scholar, you would then receive scholarship funding.
The Cyber Associates application is coming in Spring 2022. Students must also apply for university housing by this date and fill out the supplemental application for the CWIT Living-Learning Community. Please see the 2020 application for full details.