Building Excellence through Scholarships in Technology
An Event For all High School Students Interested in Engineering & Technology
Date: Friday, October 20, 2023 from 2pm-8pm in-person at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC) Campus
Application: Click here to apply
Deadline to apply: 11:59pm on October 8, 2023. All applicants will be notified by October 10th with application decisions.
Event Details: The Center for Women in Technology (CWIT) is pleased to invite high-achieving high school students who are interested in pursuing technology and engineering majors to our BEST of CWIT event! Join us for a unique glimpse at the life of a Scholar in the CWIT community and what it means to be a woman and/or an underrepresented minority in engineering and computing at UMBC.
This opportunity includes a chance for students to learn about:
- The four year scholarships through the CWIT and Cyber Scholars Programs
- Engineering and computing majors from professors and current students
- Research and internship opportunities and experiences
- How to be a competitive applicant in the Scholar selection process
During this event, parents will also have the opportunity to hear from the Admissions office, Financial Aid, the Honors College, parents of CWIT Scholars, and more.
This conference-style event will feature multiple sessions each with the choice of several presentation options. Below is a more detailed list of presentations.
High school seniors are also eligible to attend UMBC’s Life as a Retriever Day on October 20 from 9am-2pm. Click here to register.
The 2022 BEST of CWIT Program details
Optional Campus Tour: Explore all that campus has to offer!
BEST of CWIT Check-in
Welcome & What CWIT Offers: Let’s kickoff this event with some fun trivia about UMBC, CWIT, and diverse groups in technology. We will be giving away CWIT swag!
Snack & Chat Space: Relax with some hot chocolate, hot cider, and some sweet treats. This space is great to meet other attendees, current UMBC students, or just relax before heading to your next session.
- Scholarships and Financial Aid: Hear a brief financial aid overview about FAFSA and financial aid.
- It Grew on Me: My Research Experience with Fungus: Through the CWIT Scholars Faculty Mentoring Program, I connected with Dr. Mark Marten and was able to gain an undergraduate research position in the Marten Lab. The lab conducts research regarding microbial expression systems in a species of filamentous fungus, combining the disciplines of chemistry, biology, and engineering.
- Our World in Games: This will be an engaging presentation which encompasses the cultural significance of real world cultures in video game design. We will explain the different cultures through the way the video game character dresses and the background story of each character from various in game regions.
- Computing & Engineering Majors: Learn about the differences between the tech majors at UMBC.
- How to Find Internships and Research Opportunities
- Intro to GIS & Remote Sensing: Join this beginner-level introduction/overview of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and remote sensing technologies. Learn about the intersection between the environment and technology. Amal will also share information about her college journey and advice she has for high students, as well as her involvement in CWIT as an Affiliate.
- Scooby Doo & the Hijackers – an Escape Room Adventure: Come and solve a mystery as none other than Mystery Inc.! Answer a series of puzzles and piece together clues to signal for help and prevent a hijacked plane from crashing before it is too late!
- Computational Design Game Demo and Lab Tour: COMP101 is proud to demonstrate games built by our students through the course, by designing, creating, and coding through human-centric learning.
- Honors College: The Honors College is a selective academic community of about 500 students who represent a diversity of majors and interests but share a commitment to intellectual inquiry and the life of the mind. Learn about the program and how to apply.
- How to Help Your Student Succeed
How to Apply to CWIT session
Group Activity: Time to learn more about each other and build!
Dinner & Mingle: Meet with other High School Students, Family Members, and College Students Passionate about Computing and Engineering
We hope you will join us for this amazing event and learn more about opportunities in computing and engineering!
If you have questions, please contact Erica D’Eramo, Assistant CWIT Director, at email@example.com.